Brad —

My reference to Gaia GPS was meant to illustrate that third party apps are
perfectly capable of overlaying data from various sources. Just because a data
source exists doesn’t mean that it should be in OSM. On the ground
verifiability has always been the gold standard for OSM, and I feel strongly
about keeping it that way. We have departed from that gold standard somewhat
already, especially when it comes to administrative boundaries.

Another argument for keeping this data out of OSM comes to mind. In many
places, OSM has come to be the most complete map out there. OSM data is now
used by major companies and organizations, and is therefore increasingly seen
as ’the truth’. With that comes scrutiny and responsibility. We have already
seen the project drawn into political disputes that are not ours to take a
stance in. To give one recent example, our representation of the Ukraine /
Crimea border recently drew sharp criticism and unneeded negative attention to
OSM that could easily have been avoided. I’m not saying that public lands
boundaries in the U.S. are to be compared with international conflicts, but
public lands are in fact under heavy scrutiny here in the West, and
incorporating these boundaries into OSM would just generate another attack
vector we can do without.

If you want a Garmin map that incorporates both OSM data and boundary data from
BLM or other federal or state sources, there are great ways to accomplish that
goal, and I would be happy to help with it.

Martijn