This is simply a way to get an otherwise unnamed peak to render and also, I
suspect, to sidestep the inconvenience of converting the elevation to
meters.  AFAIK, there are no peaks with the generic name "Point" on any
USGS Topos. In addition, placing the elevation into the name is another
trick that should be discouraged.

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 2:38 PM Mateusz Konieczny <matkoni...@tutanota.com>
wrote:

> If it is a peak then ele=XXX and noname=yes would be OK.
>
> If it is not a peak it should not be present at all - otherwise it opens
> way to importing
> LIDAR data into OSM (and there are datasets with resolution of 5 cm,
> dumping it
> into OSM would be case of unverifiable data making it impossible to edit).
>
> I opened https://www.openstreetmap.org/note/1703462 to reduce chance that
> it will be discussed
> and forgotten.
>
> If this is really used name - then it would be OK but my bet is that this
> is not an actually used name.
>
> Mar 7, 2019, 7:04 PM by miketh...@gmail.com:
>
> It seems that there are a couple of mappers in Colorado US (at least,
> perhaps mapping in other areas as well) who are adding spot elevations
> (presumably from USGS Topo maps) to OSM tagging them as
> natural=peak
> name=Point (elevation in feet)
>
> For example:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4601119717
>
> What does the community think about this?
>
> natural=peak might be ok if said spot elevation is really a local high
> point (some are not).  The name I am less sure of. If this belongs on the
> map at all, it should probably have an ele tag, with value in meters.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand