I agree that a local US OSM map with a *subtly* adapted rendering would be
fantastic. Phil Gold did some interesting work years ago on rendering US style
highway shields taking into account (sometimes crazy) route concurrency
(http://elrond.aperiodic.net/shields/?zoom=13&lat=39.75926&lon=-86.02786&layers=B

<http://elrond.aperiodic.net/shields/?zoom=13&lat=39.75926&lon=-86.02786&layers=B>
 - note that this is based on years-old data and probably pre-carto-switch
stylesheet). Lars Ahlzen created the beautiful TopOSM which is a lot more
divergent from the main map style, but another great example of initiatives
around custom map rendering coming out of the US community.

Perhaps something for a BoF session at the next SOTM!

Finally, I don’t think it’s a funding or infrastructure issue. It’s just that
someone needs to lead it.

Martijn