If it’s locally known as such, to my mind, it’s totally fine tagging it that
way, even if it’s only by backcountry skiers. I would say this is common in
OSM, I see (and appreciate) a lot of named trails that are not always
signposted as such but locally known by those names (like
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/624949038
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/624949038>). Local knowledge trumps most
everything in OSM.

If it’s just a shortcut to have the main OSM map display elevation in feet,
that’s not right, but it indicates a need that is currently unaddressed:
displaying elevation in local units on the main map. I don’t see a ticket
currently on the osm-carto repo that addresses this. I think it would be hard
to get ’regional’ rendering preferences accepted however. A better / other way
to improve on this is to change the convention for the ele tag to be more like
maxspeed: default to meters but allow other units to be entered as ‘8801 ft’
for a value. Then osm-carto could pick that up more easily.

Martijn