Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.ke...@gmail.com> writes:

> The smaller state parks - the thousand-acre type that you contemplate
> - are often not what IUCN considers to be protected areas, and so I've
> taken to using protected_area tagging, but with protection classes
> such as 21 (which woud be accompanied with
> 'protection_object=recreation').  That doesn't render, so as a
> stopgap, I've been tagging them 'leisure=nature_reserve' or
> 'leisure=park', whichever seems to fit, recognizing that further
> developments are likely eventually to make the dual tagging
> unneccessary. https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6442393 is
> typical.

I completely fail to understand why IUCN protection status has become
the main thing.  Whether something is functioning as a park now seems to
me to have nothing to do with long-term legal protection.   I am not
objecting to tagging the legal status.  I just don't see how denoting
legal status somehow removes the need to describe what is.

> What I struggle with is are more complex situations - that may always
> necessitate some 'abuse' of tagging. The thousand-acre park with a
> forty-acre developed section is handled quite nicely with your scheme.
> When you have a 'park' comprising hundreds of thousands, or millions
> of acres, operated in public-private partnership, things start to
> break down. This is true of New York's two huge parks; of the USA's
> larger National Parks; and of US National Monuments, National Forests,
> and BLM recreation lands. The outer ring - the legally designated area
> - may not really enclose anything recognizable as a 'park', while the
> stricter 'park' land management may be somewhat diffuse, in many
> discrete protected areas. The larger area is also protected, but
> limited sustainable development is often permitted.

Agreed this is messy.  I meant merely to broach the notion of tagging
usage in sub-parts separately from tagging the name of the entity on the
large object.

> Looking at the IUCN definitions, the only class that fits these large
> parks is '2' - 'national park'. IUCN, like our Wiki, doesn't actually
> require that 'national park' be constituted by a national government.
> It simply embodies a hidden assumption that only a nation-state has
> the resources to constitute one. leaving the bigger state-defined
> facilities in terminologic limbo.

I would ask if it's really a good thing that OSM has adopted IUCN as the
basis for what is and is not a park.  It seems to me that it's causing
trouble.

> Another odd case that I've mapped a lot of are the undeveloped
> recreation areas owned by New York City to protect its water supply.
> The city bought them to protect them from development, and allows
> public access (in some cases requiring that the user apply for a free
> permit, in others, "come one, come all!") I've tagged these with
> boundary=protected_area protect_class=12 protection_object=water, and
> then added leisure=nature_reserve as a rendering stopgap (because
> class 12 doesn't render either).

We used to have "landuse=reservoir_protection" (although maybe these
places are watershed protection, not reservoir).  Part of what I object
to about the IUCN hegemony is the view that everything should be turned
into some complicated protect_class and other tagging removed.

But, in this case, your approach seems reasonable in terms of denoting
the landuse.

I would argue that if people are welcome, then in addition to whatever
protection tags, it deserves "leisure=nature_reserve" *also*.  There is
no reason to conclude from "water protection" that humans are or are not
allowed.  Near me, there is reservoir protection land, and it has "no
trespassing - public water supply" signs.  I think the protection
tagging ought to match your case (but maybe protection_object=reservoir
instead of =water), but also access=no and definitely no nature_reserve.

(I agree with your notion that free permit means access=yes to first
order.)

> One reason that I disfavour 'leisure=park' is, simply, the renderer.
> (I know, don't tag for the renderer!) The objects that render with
> borders (nature_reserve, national_park, protected_area for classes
> 1-6) don't obscure landcover, so those who wish to map landcover in
> these large areas can do so without collision. The only place where
> I've really tried to do that has been Bear Mountain - where I was
> producing a detailed map for a group outing a couple of years ago. I
> didn't push beyond the specific area that I needed.
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6467468

There is a much larger issue in the standard style between landuse and
landcover, and not having an integrated vision for which is rendered
how, to avoid colliding.

Around me, golf courses have a color fill and nature_reserve doesn't,
and that has always seemed broken.