29 Apr 2019, 05:12 by stevea...@softworkers.com:

> How much consensus IS there for tagging national_park on "large, (important?)
> state parks" which roughly (or not) meet the national_park definition in our
> wiki?

It seems that national_park is likely to be affected by problem similar to
leisure=park.
Many countries have thingsĀ  called "national park" that are some form of nature
protection
but details are very different.

Given that there is viable alternative that may be less ambiguous it may be
preferable to
avoid national_park or at least be aware that meaning is likely to be strongly
affected by regional
differences.

For example:
in Poland "national park" is basically "large/very large nature reserve that
has stronger legal
protections and is more famous". Some of them are tiny (probably comically tiny
by USA standards)
like Ojcowski Park Narodowy ("Park Narodowy" directly translates into "Naional
Park")
at https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6247785#map=12/50.2054/19.8272
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6247785#map=12/50.2054/19.8272> -
covering 21 square km.

I am tempted to treat boundary=protected_area as preferable, despite that tags
specifying exact type
are unreadable codes.

(I am loudly thinking here, and not sue what exactly should be done here)