Richard Fairhurst <rich...@systemed.net> wrote:
> Ok. I've just finished a pass through CONUS relationising pretty much all
> the significant leisure trails I could find for which there weren't already
> route relations. HDYC is telling me that "recently" I've added 334 bike
> routes - I'm not sure what period that covers but it sounds about right.
>
> By and large I've tagged them with network=lcn - there's certainly a case
> for upgrading some to =rcn but I'll leave that to those with local
> knowledge.
>
> There's a bit of work still to do on smaller local trails that also form
> part of a longer route - e.g. parts of the Bay Trail, or the East Coast
> Greenway. It would be good to have a distinct C&O Canal Trail relation over
> and above the USBRS 50 relation, for example.

Having entered one (temporal) version of the ECG (full disclosure,
Softworkers.com did so professionally), I agree with Richard that there are
additional "smaller local trails that form part of a longer route."  Often
these are spurs OFF OF the "main" route, although in other instances they
superimpose at a different level (e.g. an lcn which shares infrastructure with
an ncn).  Obviously it is important to "get the level right" when entering
these, including entering two route relations if that is a reality in the world
(an ncn AND an lcn).  The USA has firm methodologies by which we use these
three (barely four, if you count international) levels.  The details are in our
wikis:  https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/United_States/Bicycle_Networks (which links
to https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/WikiProject_U.S._Bicycle_Route_System , our
national / ncn network).

Please note that at a national level, ONLY numbered USBRs should be entered,
and the process to do so is quite well-established.  Exceptionally (because of
seriously large scope or importance) there are now also four "quasi-national"
routes (up from two originally), which have emerged over the long term with
wide (and sometimes fragile) consensus.  At state (rcn) and local (lcn) levels
(the latter can include city-level and county-level), OSM consensus differs
slightly state by state as to what "qualifies" to enter, but the bar is fairly
high for all.  Briefly, if it is a government-sponsored route network, enter
it, especially if signed.  For what appear to be "bike club" networks, think
twice (or thrice) before entering these:  it is not usually the case that these
are bona fide route networks, rather they are what a private group considers
"good rides" and there are bazillions of these with which we do NOT wish to
clutter the map.  Well-established rail trails which allow or are specifically
designated for cyclists DO get a route relation (and please start, as Richard
did, with network=lcn).

Also, there are proprietary routes (like ACA's routes, which are firmly
discouraged from being entered as they are copyrighted), these should not be
entered.  However, there is a tenet in OSM that "if you ride the route and
acquire the track as a GPX, you have established legal nexus as a Contributor
to enter these data into OSM."  If you do this, be careful that any name=* tag
you enter is something you have permission to use, too.  This can be tricky if
you think about it (why ride a ride and then be prevented from entering it AND
its name because you don't have permission to use its name?).  However, simply
"riding a ride" and then entering it as a route relation is highly discouraged:
 bicycle route relations really are meant to express government-sponsored
routes, rail trails and rarely, "quasi-private" routes (neither
government-sanctioned nor approved by AASHTO, but public data, usually signed
with proprietary signage).

There are state- (and even county-) level wikis which describe these "more
regional" (or local) networks, California has at least four counties that I
know of.  If you enter these routes / networks, you are highly encouraged to
find the right place in our wiki-universe to enter at least a blurb that they
exist.  Each and every state in the USA has a wiki and more and more of them
are emerging to include a Bicycle Routes section.  Please, build up these wiki
with such routes / networks!

As for rail trails, very nice work, Richard!  Rail trails are usually
classified as local (lcn) if they are for cyclists, although some are sponsored
at a state-level:  these are properly tagged rcn (regional generally means
"state-level" in the USA).  I don't know this for sure (Minh?) but I might
imagine that the C&O Canal Trail over and above the USBR 50 relation might be
properly tagged rcn instead of lcn.  Such decisions are best determined with
more-local consensus by Contributors who are familiar with the local / state
statutes which define the route.  The Bicycle_Networks wiki describe
(MUTCD-standard) signage for NUMBERED routes which disambiguate the
network-level tag that should be used.  For routes which happen to be signed
on-the-ground as non-governmental (non-MUTCD-standard signage), please consider
these on a case-by-case basis, starting (as Richard did) at the local (lcn)
level.  If network=rcn is actually a better value, this is likely to emerge
with strong consensus at a more-local (state) level within OSM.

Thanks for improving bicycle routes and especially rail trails in the USA!

SteveA
California