Thanks for the nice summary.  I have one minor issue to raise a question
about:

stevea <stevea...@softworkers.com> writes:

> As for rail trails, very nice work, Richard!  Rail trails are usually
> classified as local (lcn) if they are for cyclists, although some are
> sponsored at a state-level: these are properly tagged rcn (regional
> generally means "state-level" in the USA).  I don't know this for sure
> (Minh?) but I might imagine that the C&O Canal Trail over and above
> the USBR 50 relation might be properly tagged rcn instead of lcn.
> Such decisions are best determined with more-local consensus by
> Contributors who are familiar with the local / state statutes which
> define the route.  The Bicycle_Networks wiki describe (MUTCD-standard)
> signage for NUMBERED routes which disambiguate the network-level tag
> that should be used.  For routes which happen to be signed
> on-the-ground as non-governmental (non-MUTCD-standard signage), please
> consider these on a case-by-case basis, starting (as Richard did) at
> the local (lcn) level.  If network=rcn is actually a better value,
> this is likely to emerge with strong consensus at a more-local (state)
> level within OSM.

The notion of state sponsorship is interesting, and there is the aspect
of a state bicycle route number, akin to a state numbered highway.  I
can certainly see that being rcn.  Then there is the aspect that in MA,
most things called "rail trails" end up getting built with state funds,
and built to state construction standards, both avoiding the towns
having to say and making the resulting trail much more costly (but nicer
in some ways).  These trails tend to have names, like "Nashua River Rail
Trail", "Assabet River Rail Trail", "Bruce Freeman Rail Trail", but they
don't have a "MA Bicycle 29" designation, or if so nobody knows that.

Most of them go over fairly short distances; the Nashua River one is
about 12 miles and is in the towns of Ayer, Groton, Pepperell, MA and a
bit in Nashua, NH.  To me, that feels local in scope rather than
statewide, so I'd want to see it as lcn.  The fact that it was funded
with state rather than local money doesn't seem important.  (Actually,
state money pays for local roads in complicated scheme.)

Now, if the Central Mass Rail Trail were somehow complete in a Cambridge
to Northhampton sort of way, or even half of that, it's obviously rcn,
regardless of who organizes it.

This gets fuzzy.  Perhaps, in a US-centric northest-centric way, it
feels like rcn is 100 km.

I'm not sure this ended up being useful.  I think I more or less agree
with where I think you ended up, saying that other than federal and
state numbered routes, all routes are lcn, unless there is really clear
local consensus that they are very important and of state-level scope,
in which case they can be promoted to rcn.