On 16/07/2020 00.44, Skyler Hawthorne wrote:
Reading up on the import guidelines, I can see that the license is important. However, I am not able to see anything that explicitly states one way or another what kind of license the data sets are distributed under, and this whether or not it is compatible with the ODBL.

Hello again! Great to see someone else working in my neck of the woods!

If the site doesn't state clearly (an issue I had with Prince William County, VA, which I have been working on for job-related reasons), I would recommend contacting the data issuing agency. I see it's a .ny.gov site, so it's almost surely legitimate (plus it's hard to imagine someone making the effort to set up a scam site with enough content to not be obvious).

There are some form letters you can use to ask if the data is available under a compatible license, or you can just ask them to clearly indicate the license *or if the data is Public Domain*. In my experience, it may be helpful to ask up front for the contact to clearly state if the data is or is not PD.

As a disclaimer, I do this in my free time, which is in short supply, so progress on this would likely be slow. However, I would love if everyone could just search for any address and find it.

As someone who recently went looking and discovered that his former residence "doesn't exist" in OSM, I for one will be most gratified to see any improvements in the area :-).

--
Matthew