There are many opinions about driveway access tags in OSM, some (conflicting
ones) even expressed here, if briefly.  Plus, such semantics can be slippery
and blur among regions.

I believe it correct that access=private tag be removed from highway=service +
service=driveway, as "private" seems too strict to accurately describe a
driveway (that's part subjunctive mood where it needs doing, part indicative
where true now).  This is especially correct when entered or deleted by a
company performing delivery services — access=destination seems much more
precise, and directly in that exact circumstance.  I only tag access=private
when there is a sign explicitly prohibiting access, a gate which enforces this,
or both.

(And "I believe it correct..." is, after all, simply one person's opinion, it
is important to remind).

There is an "implied semantic" (in my mind and I believe many others') of how
private property and driveways "work" in USA law and custom:  "If tagged
highway=service + service=driveway, this MEANS it is on private property.  If
you are invited by having delivery requested or are visiting the residence (by
invitation) or business (because they are open) so attached to the road
network, you may traverse.  Otherwise, it should be respected as private
property, access=private is superfluous and too strict."

In short, I'm agreeing with Tod that an access=* tag isn't explicitly needed,
but if one is added, access=destination seems most accurate and seems
distinctly more correct than access=private.

I would ask Alex to consider the slight modification to his proposal that he
tag driveways with access=destination, but I don't consider doing so a
hard-and-fast requirement for me to agree (again, simply one person's opinion).
 It would be good for both the OSM community and Amazon Logistics to reach a
firm consensus on this, as AL will continue adding these (it's good for them,
it's good for our map).  That AL has agreed to NOT add access=private is a step
in the right direction.  Whether this consensus includes whether
access=destination is correct or not awaits more agreement in our community
first, then Amazon can hew to OSM's preferences.  Consensus may differ in
different parts of the world, as Rory (for example) has a better grasp on how
driveways are thought of (and used, and most-ideally tagged in OSM) in the UK,
and USA-ans (weird word, I know) I believe are pretty close to (if not 100% in
line with) how I describe it above.

So, no access=private on driveways (unless gated or explicitly signed as such),
that's clear.  As for access=destination?  Requires some more discussion and
consensus and may vary by region to conform with law and/or custom.  We'll get
there.

SteveA
California