I posted this on the Slack but I figured I should put this on the mailing
list to make sure it reaches everybody:

Many long-distance Amtrak trains have route relations with 1000+ members.
If I split one way that happens to be a member of one of these routes, I
end up with a changeset with a gigantic bounding box, and often get edit
conflicts due to someone doing a similar change hundreds of miles away
along the same line. I really would like to split up these relations into
smaller chunks to make them more manageable.

One way of doing that would be to split them up by state (as US and
Interstate highways are) but that seems odd for a train relation, since
they'd start and end at places that aren't train stations (except maybe
Texarkana). My other thought would be to split them up at "station stops",
where trains dwell for 10+ minutes to facilitate crew changes and allow
passengers to step off the train and get some fresh air. These are roughly
every 4 hours apart schedule-wise (typically 200-300 miles apart). The
annoying part is that station stops are not well-advertised and you pretty
much need to ride the train to figure out where they are.

Other suggestions on the Slack include splitting them up by the underlying
railway infrastructure lines (aka subdivisions). I'm not convinced this is
an intuitive way to approach splitting long routes into sub-relations.

Anybody have opinions one way or the other?

-Clay