It seems that OSM has a an architectural problem with over-large relations?

Is modifying the relations in potentially arbitrary ways a good solution?

Seeking something that may work now, can any "size-based" relation splits be done in a way that they can be automatically removed at some futute point? Is there a meta-relation structure that can relate relations, or is that just a relation?

I do not know enough about how OSM is implemented to make real suggestions, but changing the data for this seems like a bad smell.

cheers - ray