It seems that OSM has a an architectural problem with over-large relations?

+1

The Tongass National Forest [1] was recently mapped with great detail.  It
comprises most of the Alaska panhandle and all of its islands and inlets.
The relation has 28,000 members and contains over 2 million nodes.  It does
not load on osm.org, and is single-handedly responsible for a 48-hour
increase in the amount of time it takes to render the global tileset.

Meanwhile, on the opposite coast, a few users moved all of Hampton
Roads/Chesapeake Bay, and all of its inlets and estuaries, inside the
coastline [2], in order to speed up the amount of time it takes to render
the coastline and reduce the frequency of users breaking coastline
continuity.  A heated discussion on this continues over on the tagging list.

Personally, I think if the world is complicated, the model should be
complicated.  If the thing we're modeling is large in the world, it should
be large in the map.  It seems that we are increasingly doing things to
simplify the model because certain tooling can't handle the real level of
complexity that exists in the real world.  I'm in favor of fixing the
tooling rather than neutering the data.

[1] https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6535292
[2] https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/94093155