Hi,

On 4 November 2013 11:16, Dawid Loubser <da...@travellinck.com> wrote:

>  That's funny Grant - I always thought that the zoomed-out tiles updated
> first, and that it took ages for the detailed tiles to update :-)
> I'm sure it was that way a couple of years ago - has the processing order
> changed? Or am I mistaken?

Yes it has changed. The rendering stack (and caching layers) now try to
keep the zoomed-in (high-zoom) current and caches the zoomed out for much
longer.
The tile.openstreetmap.org rendering + serving is a challenge... >5000
tiles per second (> 450Mbit/s) at peak. A dynamic pool of 11 caches servers
servers and 2 rendering servers. It has been fun to design.

But don't be scared off from trying to render your own OSM South Africa
map. Even a smallish PC can handle it. http://switch2osm.org/ has a guide
and there are people in #osm-dev on http://irc.osm.org always ready to help.

Regards
 Grant