Stewart Russell via talk wrote on 2022-12-15 07:01:

Membership in the Overture foundation is also very costly: $3000 US/year to contribute, $3M US/year to be on the steering committee.

From the Ars story, that's cheap to these companies:

If Overture Maps succeeds, it could lower costs for everyone. Overture member companies are expected to pay an annual membership fee to the foundation, with members on the "Steering" tier paying $3 million per year and dedicating 20 engineers to the project (sign-ups
are currently open). That's nothing compared to what a big company
will pay for access to the Google Maps API. When Uber held its IPO in
2019, the company reportedly paid $58 million for Google Maps API
access over the previous three years, and that was mostly before the
Google Maps price hike. $3 million a year is a bargain compared to
that.

$3,000,000 *plus* 20 engineers - that kind of resources can get things done.

Also, "Qualified Nonprofits / Government" tier of membership is $0:

https://overturemaps.org/become-a-member/

Also, a Polish "find a pharmacy with medicine I require" site was priced
out of Google Maps and investigated the alternatives (interesting
comparison images of different mapping products), and made this claim:

Some options we could reject quickly for various reasons. OpenStreetMap is not supposed to be directly used by commercial sites

https://www.inderapotheke.de/blog/farewell-google-maps

So, I can see the case for Overture Maps if they compete with Google (or
can't afford them), and OSM licensing means OSM is unavailable.

The partners in Overture are not particularly well known for their open-source friendliness.

Ars again:

The code to "help developers process and effectively use Overture map
data and the global entity reference system" will eventually be on
GitHub. Initially, the foundation aims to release "basic layers
including building, road, and administrative information," with later
plans to introduce "new layers such as places, routing or 3D building
data."