I use rclone in production. Let me try to answer some of your questions.

rclone aims to be an rsync like utility for interacting with
commercial/proprietary cloud services but it also supports all of the usual
stuff, such as SFTP, SMB, etc.
Here is a list of supported services: https://rclone.org/overview/

> - is rclone good?
I think it's "good". I've used it since 2019 to transfer an average of 1TB of
data per 24h to object storage providers (AWS S3, Backblaze B2).

> - is rclone easy to use?
As easy as rsync.

> - does rclone handle encryption of remotes (mostly) transparently?
In my case the data is encrypted at rest with the object storage provider. In
transit the data is protected with TLS. I have not looked into the using the
rclone crypt backend.

> - in particular, is mounting remote encrypted cloud drives as local
> drives fairly easy?
I've never tried that.

> - what cloud storage providers have you used rclone with?
SFTP, Backblaze B2, Amazon AWS S3, Storj.

> - do you recommend a particular cloud storage provider?  Why?
I use mostly B2 for large object storage needs. The speeds are not great, but
it doesn't matter much for my use case. They have been otherwise reliable and
very competitive on pricing (storage and egress are two separate costs). It's
the company of the hard drive reliability stats fame.

I use Storj for backing up logs.