So if I understand right when I put 9.2 on my windows 8.1 machine I can install
windows 10 using windoweyes and it will talk or do I have to use narrator?

-----Original Message-----
From: Talk [mailto:talk-bounces+rkurlan=schools.nyc....@lists.window-eyes.com]
On Behalf Of Doug Geoffray via Talk
Sent: Monday, July 27, 2015 12:39 PM
To: talk@lists.window-eyes.com
Subject: Re: installing Windows 10

Don,

There are four scenarios when it comes to Windows 10 and Window-Eyes.
Let me address each.

1) You get a new computer and it already has Windows 10 installed

You must have the full Window-Eyes 9.2 installer.  Windows 10 will block
the installation of any version less than 9.2.

2) You manually install Windows 10 on a system

Windows 10 is no different than any other operating system at this
point.  Window-Eyes itself can not be installed until Windows 10 itself
is fully installed so you would need to use Windows Narrator to help you
with the Windows 10 installation.  Windows Narrator can be launched with
Windows-Enter.

3) You are upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10

You must have Window-Eyes 9.2 installed on your Windows 7 system before
the Windows 10 upgrade will allow you to continue.  I have not seen the
final Windows 10 upgrade which will start being pushed out on Wednesday
so I can't say specifically what will happen but on the internal builds
I've been testing I've seen the following.  I had Windows 9.2 installed
and running on my Windows 7 system when I started the Windows 10
upgrade.  Everything was working well and speaking perfectly.  However,
there are eventually two back to back screens which have Window-Eyes
unloaded and require you to launch Narrator.  After those two screens
the upgrade will continue and Window-Eyes will eventually launch and be
working under Windows 10.

However, under Windows 7 only there is a problem with the Window-Eyes
accessibility driver.  The issue is Windows 7 requires a mirror driver
which Window-Eyes has.  But after the upgrade, Windows 10 does not
support mirror drivers so it blocks them leaving Window-Eyes without the
driver causing there to be no off screen model.  In most cases you don't
even need an off screen model but it is still important to resolve
this.  The easiest way to resolve this is to simply run your Window-Eyes
9.2 upgrade on itself under Windows 10.  So after Window 10 has been
installed just download your Window-Eyes 9.2 upgrade and run it.  This
will install the necessary accessibility driver causing you to have a
full 9.2 working copy under Windows 10.

4) You are upgrading from Windows 8.x to Windows 10

You must have Window-eyes 9.2 installed on your Windows 8 system before
the Windows 10 upgrade will allow you to continue.  Like Windows 7 there
are a couple screens that come up without Window-Eyes running so you
will need Narrator.  After that Window-Eyes will come up and your
Windows 10 will be running perfectly with Window-Eyes 9.2.  There is
nothing extra you need to do.  Windows 8 and Windows 10 both use an
accessibility driver, not a mirror driver, so life is good after the
upgrade.

Regarding how Microsoft is going to upgrading a billion devices to
Windows 10, there is an interesting blog post you may find interesting:

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/07/02/windows-10-preparing-to-upgrade-one-billion-devices/

Regards,
Doug