I have never understood the thinking behind the Free version of Window
Eyes for those using MS Office.

I have had the sense that GW Micro was running short of Cash flow  the
last few years, and was looking to do something to keep the business
going.  I hope I am incorrect about this, but this is my sense about GW
Micro's last three or four years.

Unless they get some sort of payment from Microsoft, I can't see where
it benefits GW Micro, now A I Squared, to have a Free edition.    Seems
like that would take away from the Bottom Line, rather than add to it.

but, Hey, A Company can do what it wishes.    What do I know.

I've been a Paying customer since the DOS days with Vocal eyes, and have
bought every Upgrade as it came along.

I have not understood the SMA thing either, because here again, the only
reason why I can think of to even have such a system, is to obtain much
needed cash flow.  Although, all that is happening, is that the Company
is borrowing from its Customers.    This is not Smart.   Sure, Sure, it
is marketed in such a way, that it sounds like it is the Customer who
benefits the most. Sure, you get a slight discount for purchasing ahead,
but the Company that borrows from its customers, end up with less when
they release a new edition.

I don't know what the best answer is when operating a Company such as a
Screen Reader manufacturer.    the idea is to sell product, to make a
profit large enough to pay for Research and Development, and to make the
owners and Employees happy enough to keep doing what they are doing.

It is a very limited market, as only the seriously blind are likely to
need such a program, and most seriously Blind are also seriously limited
when it comes to buying items that are expensive.

I am sure trying to keep up with every new Operating System from
Microsoft is no easy task.  And the Web has to be an absolute nightmare
when it comes to attempting to make a screen reader work with what is
likely to be found on web sites put up by all kinds of people, all
around the World.

I feel sorry for those guys in Development that have the chore of making
a Screen Reader work with most everything found on the ever changing Web.