I have been a JAWS user for a couple of years now, and I am the last person
to ever say that any screen reader, including Window-Eyes and VoiceOver are
perfect.  What I have found with JAWS, though, is that it has so many
options and preferences that sometimes what appears to me to be a problem is
actually a preference setting or something I am doing wrong.  To use JAWS
well, there is no getting around the fact that you have to dig into it and
learn about it.  For example, on some web pages, certain newer types of
control work best with JAWS if you turn off the JAWS virtual cursor.  You
can toggle that off by pressing INSERT Z.  Also, JAWS is smart enough
sometimes to figure out the best way to interact with a control like some
calendars by pressing ENTER on them.  This is extra work, but it is also
happening because JAWS has options that are not present in VoiceOver, for
example.  There may well be things that VoiceOver does better, but it makes
sense to be sure a decision is made from a position of knowledge.  There are
just no simple answers.  VoiceOver is free and comes with the operating
system, but you will generally pay more for an Apple computer than a Windows
computer.  In some cases, you are getting more powerful hardware, so I'm not
saying the extra expense isn't worth it, because it might be.  However, you
might also find that spending extra money for an equivalent Windows machine
will make Windows screen readers behave better.

I do not have any trouble with JAWS coming back after my computer comes out
of sleep mode.  It seems to me I did a few versions back.  Sometimes,
though, it does seem to take a while.  If Windows 10 is being used, it has
introduced a lock screen even if you don't have a password that seems to
take extra time for me.  This isn't to say that someone else is not having
trouble.  My point is that this is not a universal problem through my
experience.

There are people who have switched to Apple and VoiceOver and are happy with
it.  There have also been people who switched and eventually came back to
Windows.  From what I have read, those who have switched and then returned
to Windows are usually people who perform specific tasks that Apple did not
do as well for them.  If one tends to do things that Apple does well and
does not perform tasks that some have found difficult with VoiceOver on an
apple, they are not going to experience the same frustration.  Whatever one
does about choosing a screen reader or a computer, one needs to investigate
and educate oneself to be sure the system is right.  If one is not the type
of person who digs into the differences between Windows, IOS, or Apple's
operating system, then think carefully about all of the things one does and
read what others have said.

It is easy to say that JAWS is all bad and VoiceOver is all good, or that
Apple is bad and Windows is good.  People say both.  Things are never quite
that simple.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson