On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 08:51:35PM +0100, Mike Collinson wrote:

> Unless someone corrects me: No, as it is (I assume) an original map
> and not a facsimile made by them.

  Just as a reference, all maps made available at Oxford's Central
  Library are facsimiles of the original collection and they apply a
  non-commercial licence to all useage of them (may or may not stand
  up in law, but I can't afford lawyers).  Oxford University
  Library's Map Room bans cameras/etc and will only allow copies to
  be made by staff, with a similar licence applied.

  In other words, although there are collections of out-of-copyright
  maps available to view, it's not always as easy to get electronic
  copy free of restrictions.