On 30/01/2008 11:47, Artem Pavlenko wrote:
> On 30 Jan 2008, at 10:25, bvh wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 08:56:13AM +0000, Tom Hughes wrote:
>>> So it is reasonable or optimal for us to maintain an infinite number
>>> of custom maps for third parties that want custom maps but don't want
>>> the hassle of rendering them?
>> No, we should provide tools that make it very easy to create a custom
>> map. Mapnik is not (yet?) that tool.
>
> Mapnik is that tool and it's also free and easy to use ;) . It is
> used in many exciting projects to generate custom maps e.g
>
> http://www.everyblock.com/
> http://www.placebase.com/
> http://www.mysociety.org/2007/more-travel-maps/

but installing it and keeping it up to date is a nightmare for ordinary
mortals. If an instance of it were already installed in an accessible
place (on the internet for example, with a web interface) so that you
could just use the very nice GUI I saw you demonstrate at SOTM last
year, or some variation of it, it would be that tool.

David