On 30 Jan 2008, at 12:24, David Earl wrote:

> On 30/01/2008 11:47, Artem Pavlenko wrote:
>>> No, we should provide tools that make it very easy to create a
>>> custom
>>> map. Mapnik is not (yet?) that tool.
>> Mapnik is that tool and it's also free and easy to use ;) . It is
>> used in many exciting projects to generate custom maps e.g
>> http://www.everyblock.com/
>> http://www.placebase.com/
>> http://www.mysociety.org/2007/more-travel-maps/
>
> but installing it and keeping it up to date is a nightmare for
> ordinary mortals.

This is why I'm making  win32 binaries ( and planning os x pkg) - for
ordinary mortals.
For more advanced folk : sudo apt-get install mapnik  or rpm -ivh  etc.
All is needed is a bit of extra help (hint hint hint) , I'm
personally quite happy with building from source - worksforme :)

> If an instance of it were already installed in an accessible place
> (on the internet for example, with a web interface) so that you
> could just use the very nice GUI I saw you demonstrate at SOTM last
> year, or some variation of it, it would be that tool.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by instance. Postgresql ?
Mapnik is c++ library that can be used with any modern GUI toolkit to
render maps. There are different ways to setup it up, of course and
web based service is one of them.

> David

Artem