On Feb 2, 2008 11:12 PM, Gervase Markham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> > Around here the water levels can vary +/-0.5m (just before the bridge
> > there's a gauge so you can tell at any particular moment if you'll
> > fit). Should the height here be the "minimum maximum_height"? The
> > maximum height when the water is the heighest?
>
> Yeah, it seems to me that putting max_heights on something where one of
> the surfaces moves is fraught with possible problems...

TBH this seems more of a hobbyist requirement anyway. If you're making
a map for serious use you'd do it more like a network (like roads) and
have routes between junctions that say what the maximum class of boat
that can pass through this route. There is a standard classification
for such things. No route planner for boats is seriously going to rely
on checking the height of every bridge on the way.

In the end we have to rely on the official classification for
waterways anyway, because if a waterway is not officially classified
as permitting a certain class of boat, then a council can just build a
non-opening low bridge over it and you're SOL.

Then again, this may be academic in the UK, I understand they don't
have any waterways that could be classified in the smallest category.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://svana.org/kleptog/