Hi,

>    In particular, its very easy for JOSM users to trace from GPX files but
>    then never upload them.

I think we should provide a track upload facility within JOSM. I
started work on that once but got distracted, maybe its time to
revisit that.

>    If the source is
>    a track log then it really ought to be compulsory to upload that track
>    log

I am very cautious when it comes to compulsory stuff. Such a measure
would have "we don't trust our contributors" written all over it. We
can *encourage* people to upload their traces, but trying to *force*
them will annoy half of them, and the other half will just build
themselves a JOSM plugin that synthesizes matching traces for anything
you upload.

>    otherwise we have no way of knowing that the data wasn't derived from
>    some copyright source.

Rather than the contributor having to prove that he's honest, I think
the copyright owner should have to prove that the contributor isn't!

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ##  N49°00.09' E008°23.33'