On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:40 PM, Frederik Ramm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >    In particular, its very easy for JOSM users to trace from GPX files
> but
> >    then never upload them.
>
> I think we should provide a track upload facility within JOSM. I
> started work on that once but got distracted, maybe its time to
> revisit that.
>
> >    If the source is
> >    a track log then it really ought to be compulsory to upload that
> track
> >    log
>
> I am very cautious when it comes to compulsory stuff. Such a measure
> would have "we don't trust our contributors" written all over it. We
> can *encourage* people to upload their traces, but trying to *force*
> them will annoy half of them, and the other half will just build
> themselves a JOSM plugin that synthesizes matching traces for anything
> you upload.

Yeah, compulsory is too strong a word.  Strongly recommended is closer to
what I was thinking.  But I wanted to get people's attention.

> >    otherwise we have no way of knowing that the data wasn't derived from
> >    some copyright source.
>
> Rather than the contributor having to prove that he's honest, I think
> the copyright owner should have to prove that the contributor isn't!

Well, part of the deterrent against frivolous lawsuits is to have a visible
and viable forms of defence.

But its not only for defence against copyright infringement allegations.
There are many things that track logs might be used for in the future.  And
its good practice in scientific and academic circles to quote your sources,
we should at least aspire to such standards.

At the moment we are not signalling clearly enough that *every* track log is
valuable to the project, even for places that have already been mapped.

Does anyone have any stats on number of edits vs. number of tracklogs by
user?   It might be quite revealing about who does and who doesn't upload
their tracklogs (coastline uploaders and serial Yahoo! tracers excepted, of
course).

80n