On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 12:35 PM, Lester Caine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Richard Fairhurst wrote:
>  > Lester Caine wrote:
>  >
>  >> We need ONE set of rendering rules that will produce consistent
>  >> results
>  >
>  > No we don't - that's half the point of OSM. If we had ONE set of
>  > rendering RULES then we wouldn't have a CYCLE map.
>
>  I'm not talking about STYLE - I'm talking base data!
>
>  ANY map can display what it wants, how it wants, but they will all have the
>  same problem where there are conflicts between area and node data. NOTHING
>  precludes rendering what ever we want, but how does the cycle map solve this
>  conflict?

However I see fit. It's my map, and I can quite literally do whatever
I want. I take the data from the database, do some "magic", and out
comes a map. If I choose to do things differently than whatever
osmarender or the main mapnik map does, then so bit it. I might render
just parking areas. I might put in some nodes. I might do both, or do
neither.

Now I say this as an illustration of what each renderer does - they
make their own decisions as to what to do. I don't even understand why
you want consistency in the outputs - the main osmarender and mapnik
layers are different, and much of it just comes down to cartographic
style.

As to the specifics of how mapnik works, see osm2pgsql's
"add_parking_node()" at
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/applications/utils/export/osm2pgsql/output-pgsql.c#L362
for the code to auto-add a parking node. On the main map it has
parking as non-overlapping as per
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/applications/rendering/mapnik/osm.xml#L154
so the duplicate icon issue is "solved" by this overlap avoidance.

And if you think this is particularly onerous for the renderers to
deal with, then you're probably unaware of how much other stuff needs
to be taken care of too!

Cheers,
Andy