J.D. Schmidt wrote:
> So as I said before, its not the rendering mechanism that should define
> what goes into the OSM DB. At the most basic level, if it is geodata,
> and can be described within the scope of <k=name v=value> it IS valid
> for inclusion in the OSM database, no matter how "useless" it would
> appear to other users.

I have no problem with additional useless information, except where it is the
sort of mindless vandalism perpetrated by spammers and hackers who should be
hounded out of existence. If someone starts adding links to porn sites and
other irrelevant crap, then THAT has to be policed, and personally I think
that some stuff which has been added in the past was at the edge of that
policing!

Where there is useful data then there is not a problem! The problem comes when
there is no way of managing the interrelations between that data. If I follow
the rules - yes they ARE rules - then I can trace all of the churches in
Worcestershire. Tabulate their religions and give distance information from
Broadway to each of them. Except at present I can't do that because
Worcestershire does not exist in the data. So it needs to be added? Perhaps if
we had freely available data for the outline we could add an area/boundary for
Worcestershire, but at present that information is not available. So we need
some other way WHICH WE CAN ALL AGREE ON to identify a county in England.
Evesham is a town IN Worcestershire which as several car parks. Again we do
not have a boundary for Evesham, but we DO know what car parks are in Evesham.
So we identify them as is_in Evesham. These car parks are currently nodes, but
the area information is available and could be added. At that point how do I
modify things so that I can get a SINGLE list of car parks in Evesham? From
what is being said at the moment I simply ignore anybody else and do what *I*
want to do for these car parks. Supply them as areas - kill the nodes - and
hope that perhaps one of the rendering options will actually display them when
I jump to that location on a map that the customer has selected.

If people are not prepared to agree a set of basic rules that produce the same
results every time then there is little point even bothering to try and fill
in the gaps in the current data and we may as well all just do our own thing
and sod everyone else!

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL