> You can create a standalone .osm file with all this in it if you/we
> need a test file. That's a much better idea than polluting the
> database with junk!

ok, forget my comment for developers who have a local environment anyway...
but I'm only thinking about the 99% of the OSM contributors who will never
install a renderer but would like to see the best practices described in the
wiki (when they are) in action.
And the database is already polluted by junk, exactly because of lake of
guidelines.

With a separate environment, the problem is the maintenance. Here we are
sure that it would use the latest renderers as they are used by osm.

When I say 'island', it could be in the middle of a desert as well and
tagued as 'test area' or whatever