Hi,

>    - select two or three small islands somewhere on the planet, but really in
>    the middle of 'nowhere', means no humans, no constructions, absolutely
>    nothing.

I share the concerns voiced by the others.

BUT:

In the long(er) run we'll have to think about multiple "data layers"
anyway. For example, someone might want to map the ancient city of
Rome, or someone might want to map aviation routes and airspace, and
the like.

While such objects could just be dropped into today's database with
appropriate tags (people have suggested temporal "validity" tags that
could be used to say that a certain building only existed from 500 to
200 B.C.), that would make editing and rendering very difficult
because you'd always deal with loads of objects you don't care about.

So we will, sooner or later, have infrastructure to deal with these
things. This *might* be separate servers running the OSM API, but we
might also find a way to integrate this with our current data base.

Whichever way we go, if we start having multiple thematic or temporal
"layers" or "groups" or "clusters" or whatever, then we can sure also
have one additional layer that we call "testing" or "reference" or
whatever, which serves the purpose you are after.

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ##  N49°00.09' E008°23.33'