Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> Let's go with type=area_with_holes then, roles outer and inner as
>> before. All members are closed ways, the "inner" ways are contained
>> in the interior of the single "outer" way. The area_with_holes is the
>> interior of the "outer" way minus the interiors of the "inner" ways.
>> The properties of this area are described by the tags on the "outer"
>> way (one might also put tags on the relation here). The orientation
>> of the ways doesn't come in.
>>

> That's precisely what I thought the "multipolygon" type would do at
> the moment (minus the fact that some don't yet have inner/outer tags
> but that's being dealt with I believe).
>
> Bye
> Frederik

I too am a little bit confused: now the whole issue basically comes down
to renaming the relation from "multipolygon" to "area_with_holes". But
the inital proposal had some other features, like using the inner
polygons' tags to render the inner polygons content directly (not as
holes) + abandoning clockwise/anticlockwise approach.

Is the renaming really necessary? I think the existing renderers already
know how to draw multipolygons even without outer/inner specification.
> That may be what we want but a significant proportion of the existing
> data also has:
> 1) an outer ring which is not a single closed way
> 2) the same tags on all of the ways
Shouldn't this be handled just by fixing the inconsistent data?

Igor

--
http://igorbrejc.net