>  > Which is as it should be. If an object originating from that import is
>  > significantly altered later, then it should be possible to reflect this in
>  > the source tag.

of course, defining 'significantly altered' becomes an issue

maybe we can ignore it, and keep it as linz in perpetuity, no matter
how much it changes? i don't see too many issues with this, and
anyway, i would imagine only a small number would change enough to
warrant complete removal?

> That's a good question for their lawyers, do we have to maintain
>  attribution for data which is found to be incorrect and hence
>  corrected....

i'll put this point forward

>  Using another (write once) tag would still enable the original upload to
>  be recognized, even if the data is corrected at a later stage.

yes, providing double-attribution - linz/some other data set
originator and the last editor of the item

>  Thinking more on how osmarender places a copyright on one side of a way,
>  could the other sided be used for an 'attribution' tag?

how much of an issue would it be to do this in mapnik as well?