Robin Paulson wrote:

> what about only including info for major data sources that demand
> attribution, i.e. not the osm username info? this would at least keep
> everything in a (very big ) area labelled the same, plus it would be
> easier to explain to a non-copyright-savvy user? of course, only at
> zoom 18 where there is generally plenty of space between objects.
>
> or how about as a separate, floating layer that can be turned on and
> off? something on by default (again, at zoom 18 only)? when the user
> zooms into the area, the layer is turned on, but they are asked
> (subtly) if they want it off from that point onwards? would using
> cookies to determine if they have been to that zoom level in that area
> be workable?

But that's only talking about one rendering.

OSM is lots more than Mapnik and Osmarender. OSM is the cycle map,
the Garmin maps, Kosmos, book and leaflet maps, routing output, and
so on. We can't impose really hardcore technical (and ugly
cartographical) requirements like this. People will simply say "sod
that" and use Google Maps instead.

If we need attribution let's do it in the same way as every other map
in the known universe and provide a list, whether at osm.org/
attribution or via Etienne's wiki page. Let's not reinvent the wheel.

cheers
Richard