2008/3/20, Ulf Lamping <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Dave Stubbs schrieb:
> > I think the problem is the use of the language in regard to the
> > feature itself. A single person approving of a tag is obviously fine,
> > but once a vote happens, and about 10 people approve of it, the tag
> > then becomes an Approved Tag... or at least some people think it
> > does.. this obfuscates the rather limited source of approval.
> >
> If there are 10 people thinking about a tag and no one disagrees, this -
> to my experience - is a *very good* indication that the tag is in fact
> well worked out. Usually it's the other way round, there are 10 people
> with at least 2 or 3 different points of view and even after the
> proposal was discussed for some time and it comes to voting more than
> 50% of the votes just fail. So the approval is not that weak as you may
> seem to think.
>
> And what's the alternative? Having no approval (or call it
> recommendation, or whatever, I don't care) at all and let the current
> mood of one of the developers be the best way to decide things?
>
> To my experience a proposal gone through discussion *and* voting is
> usually very clear how to use and therefore needs much less discussion
> afterwards. And voting is one important reason of this output, as this
> points out if there are still disputes or open points once the
> "discussion dust" settled a bit.
> > Deprecation has a similar but more annoying problem... a bunch of
> > people on the wiki decide they don't use a tag or have a better way,
> > so essentially disapprove of it. It then gets marked as "deprecated"
> > to the complete confusion of the active mappers who are happily using
> > it and actually approve of it but weren't around for the vote.
> >
> Well:
> 1. deprecation really *rarely* takes place
> 2. I've only seen deprecation of tags that had real issues, so there was
> a good reason to change it
>
> Yes I know, in six month from now the evil guys from OS will come and
> deprecate all of our current OSM tags in one big rush - and the whole
> project will fall into a big black hole ;-)
> > I don't really think it's the language that's the main problem so much
> > as the opaqueness and finality presumed in the end result
> Sorry, but I can't see any opaqueness and finality. For each proposal
> you can read the discussion and voting - where's the opaqueness? If we
> find out in three months or so that a tag was a bad idea - we can easily
> start a new proposal and change it again - where's the finality?
>
> There's a lot of criticism about voting. But unfortunately - and let me
> state that again - *no one* came up with a better way to find a good
> agreement that may last some time.
>
> Regards, ULFL

+1

I cant see a real problem about the current voting system.
Its a good thing that the entire process is taking place on the wiki
and not in some (archive of the) mailing list or even a cluttered
forum thread.

One of my favorite features (being a hiker an cyclist) is
amenity=shelter - this feature is in proposal state since 12/2006
because there are questions and doubts remaining, and thats no problem
at all, but a good thing!
It also doesnt stop anyone from putting said feature into the DB, I
already added 40+ amenity=shelter and since about a week, the cycle
map renders them. No problem.