Hi,

> JOSM would need to turn into GIMP, with turn, copy-and-paste,
> measure, background grid, etc.  Or will it be easier to implement
> the OSM API in GIMP?

Or make JOSM an Inkscape plugin ;-)

> I live in one of a group of 6 similar buildings, placed in zig-zag
> along a street.

[...]

This is all not too difficult, I hade already started a geometry
plugin for JOSM once but put that on ice. The most important question
is where to store the metadata, i.e. the fact that one of the houses
is the master object and the others are just clones. This could either
be stored in an editor-specific custom tag on the cloned objects, or
your editor could store it locally (which would mean less clutter in
the database but you'd be the only one who can make use of this). And
of course even if it were stored in the database, other editors would
be ignorant of those special tags and could make modifications that
disregard the "clone" hierarchy.

I'm not too concerned about 3D models at the moment, they could be
stored in an external database for all I care, but if someone came
along and made our whole data model proper 3D that would be ok also.
Just don't ask me to do that, I have enough trouble with 2D already
;-)

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"