Andy Robinson (blackadder) wrote:
>> What does it mean? Is that like a funicular railway?
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Funicular_railway
>>
>> I'd prefer railway=funicular than railway=incline. Incline sounds like
>> it's just a railway on a slope.
>
> Absolutely right. There are still some rail inclines where wagons are
> winched rather than under their own steam but on the whole nowadays the
> power is on-board and some form of rack and pinion is in use.

Hmm, I think that's more "absolutely wrong".  A funicular
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funicular ) is apparently by definition
cable driven, and *not* using the rack-and-pinion, self-powered method.
The latter would be a "rack railway" or "cog railway".
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rack_railway )

"incline railway" seems to me to cover both systems, as well as some
others, adequately (hence my suggestion of such for the TIGER migration,
as there was and still is no "official" way to tag such railways.)

-Alex Mauer "hawke"