Andy Robinson (blackadder) wrote:
> I clearly got it wrong, apologies for that. So the question is whether to
> group them under a single definition or to split between funicular an
> rack/cog.

I'd be all for splitting them under a separate key
(railway:incline:type=funicular/cable/rack?  I know I'll lose that
particular key due to the namespace style, but hopefully people can
agree with the general concept of splitting the values like that)

I've written up a proposal here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Incline_railway

This should allow the easy tagging of any sort of incline railway as
well as keeping the existing TIGER data valid.  It also uses the method
I mention above to allow more precision if desired.