On Wednesday 02 April 2008 00:03:37 Robin Paulson wrote:
> "I'm talking about combining the best parts of the data from two "approved"
> sources and reflecting both sources in the source tag. This is not
> possible, without deleting and recreating the original object, if the
> source tag becomes read-only."
>
> there's no reason (in theory) the person carrying out the import of
> the second, or third, or whatever, 'approved' source, couldn't
> temporarily be given write-status for that tag. it was only intended
> to be read-only for the majority of users, who editing/adding things
> one component at a time

This would need people in charge of granting rights to other people. Which I
don't think is part of the spirit of OSM at the moment. (That's part of the
unwanted part.) Plus it still wouldn't prevent me from using the "delete and
recreate" method if I wasn't granted those rights. (That's the futile part.)

--
m.v.g.,
Cartinus