On 02/04/2008, Cartinus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > there's no reason (in theory) the person carrying out the import of
>  > the second, or third, or whatever, 'approved' source, couldn't
>  > temporarily be given write-status for that tag. it was only intended
>  > to be read-only for the majority of users, who editing/adding things
>  > one component at a time
>

> This would need people in charge of granting rights to other people. Which I
>  don't think is part of the spirit of OSM at the moment. (That's part of the

well, it happens already. there are parts of osm that i don't have
access to, and if i asked steve or anyone else with the keys, they
would likely say no unless i had a good reason. ok, it's the
infrastructure not the data, but the point still stands

>  unwanted part.) Plus it still wouldn't prevent me from using the "delete and
>  recreate" method if I wasn't granted those rights. (That's the futile part.)

true, but as i suggested in a previous mail, i'm not sure why someone
would need to do this. if a user is importing another dataset which
needs attribution, they would likely be someone responsible/trusted,
and given temporary rights to add to the 'attributions' tag.

who else would need to edit it? i can't see a situation where anyone
would feel a need to delete and then re-create? what would they gain,
in real terms?