On Tue, 8 Apr 2008, Andrew McCarthy wrote:

> In that case, would the use of highway relations be restricted to such
> cases where there is one *official* route, with differing refs?

"Official" by whose authority?  I am not aware of the UK highways agency
publishing official routes for these gaps (although for other countries
there may be some kind of official route - a relation with the route=
tag may be a reasonable approach if there really is something official).

> For example, National Primary Road 7 in Ireland is the entire road from
> Dublin to Limerick. It's called the N7, but for those portions where
> it's a motorway, it's the M7. In this case ref=M7;N7 would only be
> appropriate for the motorway if N7 was guaranteed not to appear.

Is the M7 officially also the N7 though, or are you just making a decision
based on a subjective "obviousness" criteria?

  - Steve
    xmpp:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   sip:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.nexusuk.org/