Sebastian Spaeth schrieb:
> You do know that sometimes people need to download all entities of a
> relation when they download an area with a single node in it? I wouldn't
> want to download all elements of "earth" when I download my
> neighbourhood block. :-) How do you handle this problem?

Well, currently the API only returns direct members, so do our editors
as well as my script. For "Earth" that would only be the few continents
and a couple of oceans, totally bearable.

When you start to put all Autobahnen in the Germany-relation (since they
are run and owned by the national governemnt) you will obviously run
into trouble just when downloading direct members.
But this could be solved by only making the way-relation as proposed in:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Relations/Proposed/Collected_Ways

That would result in about 100-200 direct members (instead of thousands
of ways with millions of nodes), which is okay again. Alternatively one
could request special member-groups of a relation by their role. I.e.
"give me all states of Germany and the capital but not the Autobahnen,
national buildings, etc."

This is of course still an issue but I believe that solutions will occur
shortly after we run into serious trouble like always in OSM. And it
will be a while till relations are so well used to cause  bandwith-problems.

regards, Sven