To make it more complex for the Philippines:
 - has 7,100 (more or less) islands
 - Administrative boundaries are country, region, province,
municipality/city/town, barangay
 - some administrative jurisdiction are covered by a number of islands
 - some  administrative jurisdiction are partially within an island

I'm not against dropping the is_in tags, it is useful for search
indexing.  But in the future if we can create/add a definitive
administrative boundaries for each country, then it would just be
duplication.

cheers,

maning

On 4/10/08, Andy Allan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 9:24 AM, Lester Caine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >  Looking at the growing mess of wiki pages relating to
> >  place/is_in/boundary/relations and the rest I think that I would not be
> >  wasting my time now putting together a 'proposal' for good practice for
> >  handling the simple hierarchy of is_in but it does need a means of
> identifying
> >  different 'Naga City' objects other than adding 'Camarines Sur, Luzon,
> >  Philippines' to every use of it :(
>
> is_in is a short-term kludge. It's almost completely unnecessary when
> - and only when - we have boundaries for whatever the larger area is.
> Sometimes it's useful* when you don't.
>
> The key fact that everyone forgets is that everything we deal with has
> geographic coordinates. If you can give me a bounding polygon for a
> country (whether derived from OSM or VMAP0 or wherever) then I can
> tell you if a given amenity=pub is in that country. No need for any
> relations or is_in tags AT ALL.
>
> If we weren't talking about map data, then yes, we'd need a hierarchy.
> organisation=society,name=RNIB would need is_in=UK, for example, since
> there can't be coordinates for something that doesn't have a physical
> location. But we're not worried about that because we're talking about
> OpenStreetMap.
>
> If you want a list of islands in the Philippines, it's really quite
> straightforward. Give all the islands coastlines, define the boundary
> of the country, and hey presto the rest is just a SELECT statement. If
> you want to tag every island, ney every node in the database with what
> regions they lie within (via is_in or relations) then you're wasting
> your time.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy
>
> * Not sure to who, to be honest, but maybe the namefinder uses it?

| __.-._  |"Ohhh. Great warrior. Wars not make one great." -Yoda     |
| '-._"7' |"Freedom is still the most radical idea of all" -N.Branden|
|  /'.-c  |Linux registered user #402901, http://counter.li.org/     |
|  |  /T  |http://esambale.wikispaces.com|