On Thu, April 10, 2008 12:15, Andy Allan wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:05 AM, Hakan Tandogan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>

>> I don't doubt your reasoning that borders would be far better than
>> is_in, but sometimes you have to resort to "kludges" to get something
>> off the ground *today*
>
> Sure.
>

>> instead of some at future date when we have perfect data
>
> Who says it needs to be perfect? Boundaries could have
> status=rough_and_ready so that you can say "this is more or less the
> village for is_in types of things" without committing yourself to finding
> out the actual legal boundaries. When someone has more accurate data they
> can fix things up a bit - surely this is one of the OSM principles?

In fact, that is what I'm doing for the area I feel responsible of.

I try to create both rough outlines (where I have access to data like
out-of-copyright maps) and is_in information (which I derive from the
former or from local knowledge).

> By the time you've added more than three or four places in a village
> to an is_in hierarchy you could have just drawn the rough area instead, and
> it would be far more useful - the fifth, sixth and fifty-seventh items in
> that rough area wouldn't need any is_in tags at all.

Point taken, but I try to automate the is_in population as far as
possible. I like building software ;-)

Regards,
Hakan

--
The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering...