> If we can agree on the rendering rules and get both Mapnik and osmarender
> sorted out for the USA

"sorted out" - they both work fine. Even if we had a production-ready
mechanism for country-specific rendering, it would still be a matter
of opinion, or more accurately, a matter of cartographic style, as to
whether we want to render the freeways in orange. After all, it's just
a map, and conventions are only conventions, not hard and fast rules.

Not saying that we shouldn't, just that your phrasing is quite
aggressive for what is a matter of taste. I wouldn't want someone to
say that my choice of colours for the cycle map contours needs
"sorting out" (even if that might well be true!).

Cheers,
Andy