Most people already have a mobile phone and simple Bluetooth GPS receivers without displays or keypads are cheap to buy, small, very easy to use (mine has one buttonand two LEDs) and lighter on batteries than Garmins and the like. I have not used an up-to-date GPS but used to have a Garmin 12 and now have a cheap, generic Bluetooth device which seems every bit as accurate. I imagine performance has more to do with the chipset used than anything. I use mine with my Sony Ericsson W880 and the two work together really well. I can keep the phone in a pocket and the GPS clipped to the handlebars, on a cord round my neck or in a 'Napolean' pocket and my hands are free and I avoid looking like the mapping nerd I really am :-)

There are many (mostly free) applications which will run on mobile phones and display/process GPS data and often maps. Modesty prevents me recommending my own but it will be available real soon now and you can learn more at mom/poco.org.uk.

elvin.ibbotson

From: Laurence Penney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 24 April 2008 19:57:17 BDT
To: Kai Krueger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: talk@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] GPS recommendations

On 24 Apr 2008, at 19:32, Kai Krueger wrote:
I would be interested to hear how you would rate that solution compared to one involving a bluetooth GPS mouse and using e.g. a cell phone to do
the recording and display of OSM maps. With GPS bluetooth receivers
selling already at about 20 to 30 pounds, this solution seems quite a
bit cheaper than buying a Garmin. I can't really comment on the quality of reception, as I haven't had a Garmin my self, but at least the other
points you mentioned, such as built-in OSM mapping, storage capacity
ease of use, ... should be achievable with a phone given the right
software such as e.g. GpsMid (Trekbuddy or WhereAmI, might work as well,
  but I haven't tried those).

I quite liked my Nokia N70 + BlueGPS (Sirf3, non-logging) + nmea_info.py combo. So much so that I bought another BlueGPS when I left my first one on a train in a good position near the window. I can't find its replacement now, so wonder if I left that in a taxi, bleary-eyed after some flight. Having an all-in-one is quite a bit less hassle so I'm sticking with my N95 + SportsTracker for now - will be good for a day out when I buy a spare battery.