On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Andy Robinson (blackadder) <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jeffrey Martin wrote:
> >Sent: 24 April 2008 10:50 PM
> >To: David Earl
> >Cc: talk@openstreetmap.org
> >Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] GPS recommendations
> >

> >I bought a Garmin HCx Vista. Does the "high sensitivity" mean
> >that it's better than other receivers or that they are just now
> >catching up to other receivers?
>
> It should mean that its better than the sirf star II chipsets which you
> find
> in many older devices but its not as far as I am aware the sirf star III
> chipset that everyone raves about. I've not seen any comparison between the
> sirf star III and the chipset used by Garmin in their "H" devices.
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy

The Garmin eTrex H series use a MediaTek chipset. I've seen a few
comparisons with the Sirf Star III, such as this one:
http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_tracklog/2007/08/mediatek-gps-ch.html

Generally the conclusions from the reviews I've read are that the MediaTek
performs equal to if not better in some cases than the Sirf Star III
chipset.

Karl