2008/4/26 Charles Basenga Kiyanda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> This is slightly off-topic, but does anyone have a trick to deal with
>  the gps when tagging while hiking trails? I carry a garmin etrex legend
>  Cx (unfortunately not the H version) and I find that it has to be
>  "looking" directly up and flat to get best reception. Especially around
>  here with often good tree cover and canyons. I'm just wondering if other
>  hikers have found something to remedy that problem. I'm always using
>  hiking poles when on the trail, so I was thinking about something that
>  would look like an arm-band mounted pouch that I could strap to one of
>  my forearm, since they stay pretty level constantly during the hike.
>  Maybe a backpack mounted option? I'm fishing for ideas here. I've tried
>  every possible permutation of having the gps stick out of one of my
>  pockets on pants(trousers)/coat/etc to no avail. Just for reference, I'm
>  in the southwest USA and my main source of hiking gear is REI and Amazon.
>
>  Thanks in advance,
>
>  Charles

When its cold I tuck my eTrex Legend (old B&W) into the rim of my hat,
and seems to give it a pretty much all round view. I haven't tried
something similar when not wearing a hat mainly because I now that in
tree cover you really do have to be watching the unit to ensure its
locked on and be prepared to stop at bits of clearing to keep a
reasonable trace. I guess if I had my hands full with poles etc I
would just have to put up with not seeing it and place it on the top
(outside) of my backpack. I find reception is impaired even if there
is just one thin layer of material between the patch antenna and the
satellites.

Cheers

Andy

Andy Robinson