Charles Basenga Kiyanda wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't thought about clipping the receiver
> to the top of my backpack. I also hadn't thought that a lot of small
> movement, compared to a steady stable displacement, might lower the
> accuracy. I'll keep that in mind if I try to attach the gps to my
> forearm and see what happens. Good suggestions frome everyone. I'll keep
> it in mind.
>
> Charles

I'm using Vista Cx. From my experience and from what I've read from
other people, I get the best reception if the unit is facing up, as you
said. I'm not sure small movements affect it that much. I also use
poles, but when walking on a flat terrain I tend to hold both poles in
one hand and the unit in the other :). I also try to hold it in the hand
which does not face a slope, it helps a little bit.
I did discover one other thing: if I leave the unit turned off for a
week or so, the unit's clock is no longer in sync, so it shows the
incorrect time (even by a couple of days). The problem with this is that
it calculates positions of the satellites using the incorrect time, so
it takes quite a while to find the right satellites (and then
synchronize the time). Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to set the
time manually.

Igor

--
http://igorbrejc.net