Lauri Hahne wrote:

2008/4/27 Igor Brejc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Charles Basenga Kiyanda wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't thought about clipping the receiver
> to the top of my backpack. I also hadn't thought that a lot of small
> movement, compared to a steady stable displacement, might lower the
> accuracy. I'll keep that in mind if I try to attach the gps to my
> forearm and see what happens. Good suggestions frome everyone. I'll keep
> it in mind.
>
> Charles

I'm using Vista Cx. From my experience and from what I've read from
other people, I get the best reception if the unit is facing up, as you
said. I'm not sure small movements affect it that much. I also use
poles, but when walking on a flat terrain I tend to hold both poles in
one hand and the unit in the other :). I also try to hold it in the hand
which does not face a slope, it helps a little bit.
I did discover one other thing: if I leave the unit turned off for a
week or so, the unit's clock is no longer in sync, so it shows the
incorrect time (even by a couple of days). The problem with this is that
it calculates positions of the satellites using the incorrect time, so
it takes quite a while to find the right satellites (and then
synchronize the time). Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to set the
time manually.

Igor

--
http://igorbrejc.net

That shouldn't really be a problem unless your receiver uses a very crappy software because GPS satellites broadcast correct time every 30s. So your receiver should just pick that. It sounds like your problem is mainly that it takes time find satellites as your receiver can't make pretty much assumptions on which satellites it should try find if it has been turned off for a week.

--
Lauri Hahne
Well I cannot imagine that it wouldn't be able to pick up any satellites for 10 or more minutes outdoors in the field. This only happens when the time is out of sync (normally it needs less than a minute), so I guess these things are related. Probably because of crappy software, as you said.

Igor

--
http://igorbrejc.net