SteveC wrote:
> On 2 May 2008, at 12:38, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
>> Some things don't require referential integreity: selecting ways/nodes
>> within a bounding box can't hurt the referential integrity of the
>> database (so long as the code is well-maintained), so the harm in
>> converting those methods (which are probably the single most
>> performance
>> important aspect of Potlatch?) to SQL is relatively low, so far as I
>> can
>> tell...
>
> One of the other reasons for moving to rails was the holy grail of
> using postgres, and rails is theoretically db independent. Of course
> it didn't work out that way.

Main problem here is the lack of good 'GIS' in other databases. It looks like
I may be forced to move the gis data to a postgres database despite the fact
that I have had all other systems running Firebird/Interbase for 15 years :(

> On the specific point, I'm all for more speedy SQL on things like that
> so long as there is a rails logic way too - in much the same way as
> there apparently is with the tileid stuff. Then if things change
> significantly (like, say with changesets, rollback, spatial data
> types) we don't have limited options.

Rails may be nice for some, but for those of us how are coding other
applications daily without any reference to rails it is a turn off. I do not
have the time to bother even looking which is a reason that I have not been
able to contribute on that side. I work with raw data via SQL and will
continue that way with 25 years of C++ applications and now increasingly PHP.
So any extensions I come up with ( such as NLPG data interface ) will be in PHP
:)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL