On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 06:35:59PM +0100, Richard Fairhurst wrote:

> So I really don't know what to do.

Go on developing potlatch. Yes - somebody stepping up telling you
between the lines that your work is crap or unmaintainable
is a very emotional thing but get over it. Potlatch makes the entry
barrier to contribute to OSM very low (that even my wife starts
asking about contributing and she is not a technical person).
The to be created editor needs to get that right too and that is
going to be a tough challenge.
The choice of programming language is not that important as every
programming language can solve any problem. The only question is how
many people can follow the code and contribute. So switching from AS1 to
AS3 is only a matter of switching the devel community and if that makes
it a better maintained/maintainable software needs to be proven. I dont
believe that.

Personally i am much more of a low level hacker (C and Assembly) and
cant really bend my brain around the magic going on with garbage
collection, objects, constructors and all those little things going on
in the background. I am using JOSM because it feels snappier on my
hardware but that doesnt make potlatch a bad editor - the first street i
made with potlatch and it sucked me into openstreetmap as it felt so
simple to make maps.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]             +49-171-2280134
        Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little